文化財看板 Cultural property sign

外桜田門(Soto Sakurada-mon Gate)

外桜田門

国指定重要文化財 1961年(昭和36年)6月7日指定

 桜田の名は、この地が古代に桜田郷と呼ばれていたことに由来し、江戸の主要道が通過する場所でした。徳川家康入国直後の絵図には「小田原口」と記載されています。門周辺の石垣は、1614年(慶長19年)真壁(まかべ)藩〈現在の茨城県〉藩主浅野長重(ながしげ)によって築かれ、寛永年間(1624~1644)に門が建築されました。門の周囲には、有力外様大名の屋敷が多くありました。

 1860年(万延元年)の桜田門外の変は、彦根藩〈現在の滋賀県〉藩主で大老の井伊直弼(いいなおすけ)が屋敷から登城中に水戸浪士に襲撃された事件です。

 1923年(大正12年)の関東大震災で門が壊れましたが、再建され現在に至っています。

Soto Sakurada-mon Gate

National Designated Important Cultural Property

Designated on June 7,1961

 The name of this gate is derived from the fact that area was called “Sakuradagō” in ancient times. It was a passing place on one of the main routes through Edo(Tokyo). In an illustration of the scene immediately after Tokugawa Ieyasu entered the area, “Odawara Guchi Entrance” is noted. The stone walls surrounding the gate were built by the feudal lord of Makabe Han (now Ibaraki Prefecture), Asano Nagashige, in 1614,and the Sotosakurada-mon gate was originally built in the kanei era(1624 to 1644). Many residences of powerful tozama daimyo(feudal lords who had not originally supported the ruling Tokugawa house)stood around the gate.

 In 1860 the “Incident outside the Sakurada-mon Gate, “or the “Sakurada-mon-Incident,” saw an attack on Ii Naosuke, the feudal lord of Hikone Han(now shiga Prefecture)and a chief minister(Tairō), by masterless samurai(rōshi)from Mito Han as he left his residence to enter the castle. The gate was damaged in the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923,but was rebuilt and still remains today.

関連記事一覧